Francesco Buonocore (born on 02 June 1970) is an Italian solid state theoretical physicist, staff scientist of the Italian government agency ENEA. After the degree in Physics from the University of Napoli “Federico II”, since April 1999 he was Ph.D. student at the Department of Physics of the University of Naples “Federico II” under supervision of Prof. Giuseppe Iadonisi and Prof. Domenico Ninno; he concluded his doctorate in October 2001 with the thesis entitled: “Localized states in deformed quantum wires and applications to porous silicon”. Francesco, before moving to ENEA, worked in the semiconductor company STMicroelectronics from 2001 to 2012, where he developed atomistic models for the post-silicon technology divisions. He is author of several scientific publications on refereed international journals and co-inventor of three international patents and one Italian patent. His research interests are on theoretical investigations based on ab-initio calculations of physical properties of nanomaterials and mesoscopic structures, with particular regard to molecular films, carbon nanotubes, graphene, and interfaces. He was visiting researcher at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and affiliated to the NAST Centre for Nanoscience & Nanotechnology & Innovative Instrumentation. He has been member of the CNMS (ORNL) User Group, member of the CMAST Virtual Lab of ENEA, member of the Italian fellowship of physicists ANFeA (Associazione Nazionale Fisica e Applicazioni).
Disclaimer: in the blog and in the site I discuss my personal views and I present scientific results published on peer reviewed journals. Nothing of what I post in the blog or publish in the site must be intended to be the view of my employers or officially sanctioned in any way.
List of publications
1) “Carrier localization and photoluminescence in porous silicon” – D.Ninno, G. Iadonisi, F. Buonocore, Solid State Communication 112, 521 (1999). Impact factor: 1.837
2) “A theory for semiconductor nanostructure reactivity to gas environment” – D.Ninno, G. Iadonisi, F. Buonocore, G. Cantele, G. Di Francia, Sensors and Actuators B 68 17 (2000). Impact factor: 3.083
3) “Theoretical calculations of shallow impurity states in deformed quantum wires with an application to porous silicon” – F. Buonocore, D. Ninno, G. Iadonisi, Physical Review B 62, 10914 (2000). Impact factor: 3.475
4) “Impurity and Topological Surface States in Porous Silicon” – D.Ninno, F. Buonocore, G. Cantele, G. Iadonisi, Physica Status Solidi (a) 182, 285 (2000)
5) “Multisubband calculation of plasmonic dispersion in quantum wires” – F. Liguori, F. Buonocore, D. Ninno, G. Iadonisi, Philosophical Magazine B 81, 365 (2001). Impact factor: 1.273
6) “Localized states in arbitrarily shaped quantum wire: a variation-perturbation technique” – F. Buonocore, D. Ninno, G. Iadonisi, Physica Status Solidi (b) 225, 343 (2001). Impact factor: 1.15
7) “Polarons in cylindrical quantum wires” – F. Buonocore, D. Ninno, G. Iadonisi, V. Ventriglia, Physical Review B 65, 205415 (2002). Impact factor: 3.475
8) “Growth mechanisms in chemical vapour deposition deposited carbon nanotubes” – V. Vinciguerra, F. Buonocore, G. Panzera, L. Occhipinti, Nanotechnology 14, 655 (2003). Impact factor: 3.137
9) “Analytical tight-binding calculations for optical absorption in single wall carbon nanotubes” – F. Buonocore, V. Vinciguerra, S. Coffa, Physica Status Solidi (b) 241, 2599 (2004). Impact factor: 1.15
10) “Organic electrically bistable materials for non-volatile memory applications” – A. Pirovano, S. Conoci, R. Sotgiu, S. Petralia, F. Buonocore, Solid State Electronics 49, 1820 (2005). Impact factor: 1.494
11) “Doping effects on metallic and semiconductor single-wall carbon nanotubes”, F. Buonocore, Philosophical Magazine 87, 1097 (2007). Impact factor: 1.273
12) “Ab initio calculations of electron affinity and ionization potential of carbon nanotubes” – F Buonocore, F Trani, D Ninno, A Di Matteo, G Cantele and G Iadonisi, Nanotechnology 19, 25711 (2008). Impact factor: 3.137
13) “Energetic of molecular interface at metal-organic heterojunction: the case of thiophenthiolate chemisorbed on Au(111)” – F. Buonocore, A. di Matteo, Theoretical Chemistry Accounts 124, 217 (2009). Impact factor: 2.584
14) “First-Principles investigation of the interaction of gold and palladium with armchair carbon nanotube” – F. Buonocore, Molecular Simulation 36, 729 (2010). Impact factor: 1.119
15) “New insights into oxidation properties and band structure of fluorescein dyes from ab initio calculations” – F. Buonocore, A. di Matteo, Theoretical Chemistry Accounts 131, 1130 (2012). Impact factor: 2.143
16) “A united event grand canonical Monte Carlo study of partially doped polyaniline” – M.S. Byshkin, A. Correa, F. Buonocore, A. Di Matteo, G. Milano, The Journal of Chemical Physics 139, 244906 (2013). Impact factor: 3.122
17) “Interface of graphane with copper: a van der Waals density-functional study” – F Buonocore, A Capasso, N Lisi, Materials Research Express 1, 015608 (2014).
18) “Cyclododecane as support material for clean and facile transfer of large-area few-layer graphene” – A. Capasso, M. De Francesco, E. Leoni, T. Dikonimos, F. Buonocore, L. Lancellotti, E. Bobeico, M. S. Sarto, A. Tamburrano, G. De Bellis and N. Lisi, Applied Physics Letters 105, 113101 (2014). Impact factor: 3.515
19) “Rapid and highly efficient growth of graphene on copper by chemical vapor deposition of ethanol” – N. Lisi, , F. Buonocore, T. Dikonimos, E. Leoni, G. Faggio, G. Messina, V. Morandi, L. Ortolani, A. Capasso, Thin Solid Films 571, 139 (2014). Impact factor: 1.867
20) “Water driven adsorption of amino acids on the (101) anatase TiO2 surface: an ab initio study”, L. Agosta, G. Zollo, C. Arcangeli, F. Buonocore, F. Gala and M. Celino, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 17, 1556 (2015). Impact factor: 4.198
21) “A Unified Bottom Up Multiscale Strategy to Model Gas Sensors Based on Conductive Polymers” – M.S. Byshkin, F. Buonocore, A. Di Matteo and G. Milano, Sensors and Actuators B 211 42 (2015). Impact factor: 3.083
22) “Adsorption of Modified Arg, Lys, Asp, and Gln to Dry and Hydrated ZnO Surface: A Density Functional Theory Study” – F. Buonocore, C. Arcangeli, F. Gala, G. Zollo and M. Celino, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 119 (35), pp 11791–11797 (2015). Impact factor: 3.377
23)”Effects of the substrate on graphone magnetism: a density functional theory study” – F. Buonocore, A.M. Conte and N. Lisi, Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, 78, pp. 65-72 (2016). Impact factor: 2.000
24)”Combined effect of double antireflection coating and reversible molecular doping on performance of few-layer graphene/n-silicon Schottky barrier solar cells” – L. Lancellotti, E. Bobeico, A. Capasso, E. Lago, P. Delli Veneri, E. Leoni, F. Buonocore, N. Lisi, Solar Energy 127, pp 198-205 (2016). Impact factor: 3.469
25)”Chemical Vapor Deposited Graphene-Based Derivative As High-Performance Hole Transport Material for Organic Photovoltaics” – A. Capasso, L. Salamandra, G. Faggio, T. Dikonimos, F. Buonocore, V. Morandi, L. Ortolani, and Nicola Lisi , ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 8 (36), pp 23844–23853 (2016). Impact factor: 7.145
26)”Contamination-free graphene by chemical vapor deposition in quartz furnaces” – N. Lisi, T. Dikonimos, F. Buonocore, M. Pittori, R. Mazzaro, R. Rizzoli, S. Marras and A. Capasso, Scientific Reports vol. 7, Article number: 9927 (2017) Impact factor: 4.259
27) “An ab initio study of hydroxylated graphane” – F. Buonocore, A. Capasso and N. Lisi, Journal of Chemical Physics vol. 147, issue 10, 104705 (2017) Impact factor: 2.965
1) “Calculation of confinement energies of a particle in deformed quantum nanostructures” – F. Buonocore and G. Cantele, in: “Porous Semiconductors – Science and Technology”, edited by V. Parkhutik and L. Canham, RAYTON Impresores, Valencia (Spain, 2000).
2) “Localized, impurity and topological surface states in porous silicon” – D. Ninno, G. Iadonisi, F. Buonocore and G. Cantele, in: “Porous Semiconductors – Science and Technology”, edited by V. Parkhutik and L. Canham, RAYTON Impresores, Valencia (Spain, 2000).
3) “The role of quantum confinement in porous silicon gas sensors’’ – D. Ninno, F. Buonocore, G. Cantele, G Iadonisi and G. Di Francia, in “Proceedings of the 5th Italian Conference Extended to Mediterranean Countries on Sensors ad Microsystems”, edited by C. Di Natale, A. D’Amico and P. Siciliano, World Scientific, Singapore (2000).
4) “Electronic states and optical properties in quantum wires and dots” – G. Iadonisi, F. Buonocore, G. Cantele, G. Di Francia, V. Marigliano and D. Ninno, in: Electrons and Photons in Solids – A Volume in honour of Franco Bassani (Quaderni della Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, 2001).
5) “Current results on the development of a carbon nanotube radiation detector” – M Ambrosio, A Ambrosio, G Ambrosone, L Campajola, G Cantele, U Coscia, G Iadonisi, D Ninno, P Maddalena, E Perillo, A Raulo, P Russo, F Trani, E Esposito, F Buonocore, A Di Matteo, S Santucci, M Passacantando, M Allegrini, PG Gucciardi, F Bobba, A Di Bartolomeo, F Giubileo, L Iemmo, A Scarfato, AM Cucolo, Proceeding of the 10th Conference on Astroparticle, Particle and Space Physics, Detectors and Medical Physics Applications, Como, Italy 8–18 October, (2007).
7) “Carbon Nanotubes Studies – Doping Effects on Metallic & Semiconductor Single–wall Carbon Nanotubes”, Case Studies for Materials Science Research, © 2011 Accelrys Software Inc English
8) “Fast growth of polycrystalline graphene by chemical vapor deposition of ethanol on copper” – Giuliana Faggio,, Andrea Capasso, Angela Malara, Enrico Leoni, Maria Arcangela Nigro, Saveria Santangelo, Giacomo Messina, Theodoros Dikonimos, Francesco Buonocore, Nicola Lisi, Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference (NMDC), 2014 IEEE 9th, Pages 69 – 72; Aci Castello (Sicily), Italy 12-15 Oct. 2014, DOI: 10.1109/NMDC.2014.6997424
9) “Simulation of the adsorption mechanism of titanium-binding peptide to TiO2 anatase surface” – L. Agosta, C. Arcangeli, F. Buonocore, M. Celino, F. Gala, G. Zollo in “High Performance Computing on CRESCO infrastructure: research activities and results 2013” (December 2014). ISBN: 978-88-8286-312-8
10) “First principles study of the stability of Graphane deposited on a copper surface using QUANTUM-ESPRESSO on CRESCO HPC” – F. Buonocore in “High Performance Computing on CRESCO infrastructure: research activities and results 2013” (December 2014). ISBN: 978-88-8286-312-8
11) “Activities made by the Soft Matter Molecular Simulation Group” – M.S. Byshkin, F. Buonocore, A. Di Matteo, G. Milano, A. De Nicola, Y. Zhao, K. Toshihiro in “High Performance Computing on CRESCO infrastructure: research activities and results 2014” (December 2015). ISBN: 978-88-8286-325-8
12) “Magnetism of semi-hydrogenated Graphene and effects of the substrate
by ab-initio calculations using Quantum-Espresso on CRESCO HPC” – F. Buonocore in “High Performance Computing on CRESCO infrastructure: research activities and results 2014” (December 2015). ISBN: 978-88-8286-325-8
13) “Arg and Lys selective adsorption on (101) TiO2 anatase surface in water solution” – L. Agosta, G. Zollo, C. Arcangeli, F. Buonocore, F. Gala, M. Celino in “High Performance Computing on CRESCO infrastructure: research activities and results 2014” (December 2015). ISBN: 978-88-8286-325-8
14) “Annealing Free, High Quality CVD Graphene Growth and Transfer” – R. Brajpuriya, T. Dikonimos, F. Buonocore, N. Lisi. Book Chapter in Recent Trends in Materials and Devices, Volume 178 of the series Springer Proceedings in Physics pp 325-330 (2017)
US Patent 2009/0060827 A1 METHOD FOR GROWING CARBON NANOTUBES HAVING A PREDETERMINED CHIRALITY
US Patent 7,329,902 B2 IR-LIGHT EMITTERS BASED ON SWNT’S (SINGLE WALLED CARBON NANOTUBES), SEMICONDUCTING SWNTS-LIGHT EMITTING DIODES AND LASERS
US Patent 2004/0114445 A1 A MOLECULAR MEMORY OBTAINED USING DNA STRAND MOLECULAR SWITCHES AND CARBON NANOTUBES, AND MANUFACTURING METHOD THEREOF
Brevetto Italiano depositato il 13/09/2013, n. RM2013A000509. Titolo: Processo continuo per la crescita e l’estrazione del grafene dalla superficie catalitica di un bagno di metallo fuso.